[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Home Party Plan Network Message Boards • View topic - Is this the right time?

Is this the right time?

Feel free to discuss Home Businesses in general in this topic. No advertising please!

Is this the right time?

Postby katyrose51 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:52 am

Hi everyone,

Many years ago I was with a Home Party Plan company and want to get
into selling again. I have researched a couple wonderful companies, a
jewelry company and a Home Decor.\
My husband is concerned that with the economy in Michigan that this is
NOT the time for me to get into Direct Selling.
Could I get some feedback on how others are doing with their companies,
regarding getting parties (bookings), sales etc?

Thank you so much!

Sue Smith
katyrose51

Postby ravish30 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:19 am

ravish30

Postby Darlene » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:34 pm

I have to agree with Shelly. My business with Watkins has not suffered any at all either. I am very busy with my business. I have people asking about the business all the time. In fact just this past week alone I sent out 4 business packets to people interested in joining. So it can't be that bad out there.
~Darlene~
Independent Watkins Associate
http://www.watkinsonline.com/ddemell
~Make Watkins Your #1 Choice~
Darlene

Postby PassionDivaTrishia » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:54 pm

You know what, if we all waited until the 'perfect' time...we would never start! LOL!

You seem very excited and determined to make this work and that right there is the KEY to any successful direct sales business. Enthusiasm is so contagious!

For me personally, I have not seen a dramatic difference in my sales at all and my party bookings are actually up a little bit. People want FREE stuff when money is a little tight, so we can help them out with that!

Since you have it narrowed down to 2 different types of companies, I would call your friends and family and see which one makes them more excited and use that to help make your decision. Unless, of course, your heart is leading you in one particular direction.

Go for it and make it happen!!!
Trishia Shelly-Stephens
Passion Parties Executive Director

www.mypassiondiva.com

Liberating Women from the Bedroom to the Bank!

Change your life and the lives of others with a Passion Parties career.
PassionDivaTrishia

Re: Is this the right time

Postby katyrose51 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:29 pm

Thank you, Shelley, Darlene & Trishia,

Thank you for your kind support. It has been really hard to make a decision. To those of you that have more than one company, may I ask how you are able to work each one?

I have to say, though, I am trying to work through this without the support of my family and there is a part of me that worries if I were to fail (not to say I will), they will never "trust" my instincts again.

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL!!

Sue~ :)
katyrose51

Postby LorettaA » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:02 am

Hi Sue,

I work two companies. There are many factors to consider if you are going to work with two companies. I feel like I can juggle things quite well because I do not work outside the home, I only have one child and she is always eager to help me with some of the office tasks.

My companies offer completely different products and the product knowledge for each is quite easy. If I had to keep up with a lot of different products and recommend benefits for each one it would make things a lot more complicated for me.

I don't have a lot of business expenses with my companies. Both companies only do two catalogs a year so I don't have to buy monthly sales brochures, etc.

It's good to think about how you will share your business with others. Will you simply promote both businesses or choose what to promote based on the persons interests? If this seems complicated to you, you may want to stick with one business.

Will you build a team with both business or just one? You will want to be knowledgeable and available for your team. If you do build a team with both you may eventually have to give up one of your businesses. Many companies require exclusivity once you reach a certain level in the company, like Director.

As far as family support it can be difficult. It took me awhile to find companies to work with and I thought my family would think I was crazy for trying so many different things. As it turns out they said they loved my entrepreneurial spirit and my unwillingness to give up. I feel like I have to have something for myself that I enjoy. I would be miserable if I didn't pursue my interests, which would probably rub off on my family. You've heard the saying..."If momma ain't happy, ain't' nobody happy"....something like that. :)

So, just some things to think about. :)
~* Loretta *~
Scentsy, Independent Consultant
LorettaA

Postby ravish30 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:16 pm

I guess technically I am with 2 companies but ONLY work one.

I am with HNB but as a personal use consultant.

I am with Tupperware and have been with TW since Feb. 2003.

A year and a half ago I added HNB but within a few months realized I can not effectively run 2 businesses.

I have NO small children at home.

I have one business that I work, Tupperware. I spend 70% of my time working my Tupperware business and promoting it. The other 30% of my time I spend helping my Tupperware downline as I have a large team.

Some can run more than 1 business and I probably could if I really wanted too but I feel my Tupperware business and my downline team are stronger because I am focused soley on promoting Tupperware and helping my downline.

I have nothing against those who run 2 businesses, however I do have something against those who collect businesses. I have often see sig tag lines where consultants have joined 6+ companies and I feel that is ridiculous. (my personal opinion)

Shelly
ravish30

Postby PQLaura » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:30 am

I have been in Direct sales for a few years now, and haven't seen the economy negatively affect my business. If anything, it helps it - because people want to host and/or start their own business as a Consultant.

With my company, there's a "need" there. It isnt a product that is considered a frivolous purchase, but people are actually coming to SHOP. I chose the company I'm with very carefully. I wanted to be with a company that I could offer to ANY market - younger, older, women, men, any income bracket, etc. I didn't want to be in a niche, because I think it's harder when you are working with a limited market.

I am in Texas, but have consultants in Michigan, and they're having a GREAT business right now. So yes - now IS the right time. :)

Hope that helps!
Laura Wells

Senior Group Leader -
~*~ watch the to see my interview! ~*~
I use to keep in touch with family, friends, downline, and clients!
PQLaura

Postby kayak » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:54 am

I was going to post a similar question.

All the recession talk had me concerned that people would not have money to spend so would not book parties.

But because people would need some extra cash - it is probably good for recruiting!

Has anyone here been adversely affected? or is it all good news!
kayak

Postby silverlover2 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:11 am

I am in agreement with Shelly! The economy has not affected my business at all. If ladies are going to buy jewelry, they will buy jewelry! And, the recruiting is better because of lay-offs, and needing extra $$$!

Let us know what you decide!

Nancy :)
Nancy
silverbelle100@sbcglobal.net

"My doctor said I need to accessorize more.....or was that exercise?"
silverlover2

Postby Deb » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi there... you said,

My husband is concerned that with the economy in Michigan that this is
NOT the time for me to get into Direct Selling..

There will NEVER be "the right time", also one could always see it another way. Because of the economy it could very well be THE TIME to start a home based business.
People are worried about their income,their security and are looking for something better!.
The "time" is ripe.

And like the other gals here have said, my business has
never" been affected by what the economy is or isnt doing.

Dont hole back. Go for it.

All the best to you.

Deb 8)
Deb

Postby hipchickjewels » Sat May 17, 2008 2:25 am

I agree with the others. This is a great time to get into direct sales. There are always going to be people that are doing well or their husbands are doing well. And then there are those that need to have extra income to help supplement. Those folks are great for hosting an easy party (especially one that doesn't require food or extra money out of the hosts pocket). My company only requires the host to pay for tax on their free items so they have been very excited to host a party and get free jewelry!
Good luck!
This is a great time to start your business!
Tina
hipchickjewels

Return to General Business Discussions