[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Home Party Plan Network Message Boards • View topic - Home Party Skeptic

Home Party Skeptic

Feel free to discuss Home Businesses in general in this topic. No advertising please!

Home Party Skeptic

Postby colorbyjamie » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:13 pm

Hey everyone! Okay, I know this is going to sound insane, but I'm a Director of a large organization in a home party business. And, since the beginning (2 years ago) I've had trouble maintaining a consistent party schedule and when I do have parties the attendance is low, the sales are low, and I don't get a lot of bookings.

I've realized that I can recruit like crazy because I believe in this opportunity. I can sell the products like crazy because I believe in the products. But...for whatever reason I see home party people as pushy, annoying, etc. And I've got personally experiences where I've continued to call someone who said she was interested in hosting a party or becoming a consultant and then I run into them somewhere and they avoid me like the plague!!!

So, what I'm realizing is that I'm at my limit in my success until I can over come this very WRONG view of home parties. Could some of you please share with me how people LOVE having home parties and maybe some ideas that could get me passed the fear that everyone has had bad experiences like I have?

Thanks!

Jamie
colorbyjamie

Postby tonja » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:57 am

Everyone has had slow parties at times!
I had my first TW party Jan 05 ( signed up Nov 04) then I did not have another Party until this past July ! Up intil June of 06 I have very few orders, have been my best customer ! I do sell ALOT of what I buy to stay active at Craft Shows, Fairs, etc - folks have gotten use to me being at these events an they know I do not PUSH to recruit them or to have them do a party !

But all of a sudden things ent nuts - June I had a contact for a Book Party sales were almost $300- then I got a bunch of online orders from strangers ? single orders from a few past customers -Sales for June $47 short of $1000

July I had 2 fundraisers for Relay for Life an then the party - it was a 2hr drive each way and there were almost 40 people, my throat was sore from yelling so those sitting in the back could hear - party was $53 short of $1000, I almost passed out! -then I did my own party to offer a special on a bowl for $5 that party was almost $300 My sales for July were $53 shy of $2000- I actually get a check from TW for extra commission !

AND I won Sale Awards for July on 3 different things ( have not done this before)

So then I get an email from an online friend in Florida - she is now having an online party, get a email from a local repeat customer she is now doing a book party then last night I get a call an today I go drop off things for yet ANOTHER Book party !

I am finally having some sales to stay active that I am not having to pay for! And it is just so sudden ! I think that finally the word is really out around here that I am here and what I offer - I still have LOTS of craft shows ,fairs etc lined up for Sept, Oct and Nov ( would LOVE some for Early Dec) But I am not going to give up on possibly getting some parties!

You just never know when things are going to happen - AND I know that yes there are some PUSHY Reps out there - I was at an event they organizers put 2 of us from Tup - well I also had my other Biz- BUT this other Rep was ANNOYING !!!!!

People would just put items down and walk away from her, she started in on them to book a party or to sign up . NOT me I just wanted them to buy - and the thing is this was in HER home area, I got the most sales and also some repeat orders - I did not PUSH for parties or recruits! I did what my main goal is SELL my products, let others know how gret it is !

So work on that for awhile, you said you can sell them, so do it ! Let others experience the wonderful products you have - they will spread the word - also you can remind folks about the parties, just let them make the choice. Get a bunch of small orders put them together and YOU be the Host get the gifts - use these for extra gifts when folks do book a party or start setting up at some craft shows, fairs etc get the word out on your Biz

OK have a I boosted you enough :lol: we ALL go through it, just know you are NOT alone ! With Party Plans ya just never know what will happen and when! :D

Tonja
tonja
Site Moderator

Postby ravish30 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:19 am

I am never push either as that will certainly drive away customers and potential hosts.

People see me in action at parties and they can tell right then and there that I am not pushy and in their face. I don't push people to book or rebook parties. I let them come to me.

Here is why: If I personally decided that I wanted to hold a party for XYZ company I would contact them directly. If I was at a home party and liked what I saw and heard...well, I would book right there on the spot from the hostess. If someone got pushy with me or in my face about it, that would turn me off.

So, I look at it from that point of view...would I like pushy people or in your face reps coming at me? No! So, I don't do it to others.

We all go thru slumps at one time or another and when i do...its motivation to get out there and get me and my business exposed to others.

Shelly
ravish30

Postby soylightvicki » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:23 am

I have always been very skeptical of sales people in general - including home party people. I had a bad experience about 8 years ago with the most obnoxious person I had ever met who talked me into a home party. This woman was over the top and annoying - not only was she a pushy saleswoman, she also bragged incessantly about how much of a genius she was because she used the artificial flowers her company sold in her outside flower beds in the middle of winter in Erie, PA!!! She thought her neighbors thought she was a genius and were jealous of her flowers in winter. I'm thinking the neighbors more likely thought she was a nut!!

I decided to try as an experiment to see if a non-pushy person could make decent money in this business. I haven't become a millionaire yet :lol: , but I'm definitely enjoying myself and making a little bit of money.

I think the ideas and thoughts mentioned in the previous post were excellent. I have heard that it can take years to build a loyal customer base. I think the key is to work for a company where you truly love the products, so you feel great about selling them. I really think if you just get out there at craft shows and other events you will eventually find your customer base.

There are definitely people out there who appreciate non-pushy sales people - I had a hostess tell me she booked a party because I was so non-agressive. She was comfortable having me in her home because she knew I wouldn't hound her family and friends for sales.

I would say after you have taken a second look at the main aspects of your business (Do you love the product? Are you enjoying the parties? Are you with a company you love, that supports you every step of the way?), you can decide if you should stick with it or not. I think this is one of those jobs where you are in it for the long haul if you want to make consistent money. Sure, you hear about people who come in and make thousands right away, and that's great, but I think that is the exception rather than the rule!

Good luck, and hang in there - you'll find a lot of people who are just like you in this profession, I think! :)
soylightvicki

Postby familytoys » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:43 am

Great advice so far. I love parties, and just started my first non-party business. Of course I have to host a party.

First, identify why you want to hold parties. Customer appreciation of products, high sales/short amount of time.

Now, you need to identify why your customers would want to host parties.
Free stuff, try before buy.

What hostess plan does your company have? Free? 1/2 price? Booking incentive?

for booking, get on the phone. Wording. "Hi! I am doing a customer care call for my biz. I know you recently bought the candle. How do you love it most? Do you have friends who love candles as much as you? Why not shop for free! Right now we have a special where if you have 10 friends over, I bring the candles, we smell, they buy and you will get a free candle plus x amount of merchandise of your choice! How does that sound?"

Train yourself to book 1 a week. Every Monday, for ex, get on the phone and make those custoemr calls. With customer calls, comes bookings.

Next, HOSTESS Coach!!!!

have her overinvite, help her with her guest list.

Make her personally invite EVERYONE! Tell her you will not do her party if she doesn't and let her know why. I dont' care if she sends out 80 postcards, without the calls 2 will come, the 2 she happens to talk to daily.
People need to feel important. People remember better when personally invited. She can tell her she needs to be there, etc.

Reminder calls!!!! People are spacey. They will forget.

Bring a friend special.

Hope that helps,

debbie
Love to read? www.goreadtoday.com
Build your child's library while earning $!
Come register to win $50 in free books!

Passion to Success
Lead with your passion!
Providing tools to take your business up!
http://www.passiontosuccess.com
familytoys

Postby yministry101 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:10 am

Remember you are offering a service and convenience to people not their to just sell products. If you don't tell them about your opportunity it might be your only chance and it might be too late for them next time around.
Amber Joy Imhoff CM#1132
NOAH’S ARK WORKSHOP
Traveling “Make-Your-Own-Stuffed-Animal”
Ask about our NEW Bella Bee Glamour Girl Character Building Workshops!
Great for Birthday Parties, Camps, Girl Scouts,& more…
Visit us on the web to book your workshop today:
http://www.noahsarkworkshop.com/amberimhoff1132
yministry101

Postby romy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:07 pm

Jaimie,
I too am immediately turned off by pushy people. I hate feeling as though I am being manipulated so I am extremely sensative to being "sold" on something.

I am not sure if this would work for you . . .but for me being with Arbonne . .this is what I do:

When I mail out the invitations for an upcoming party I include a sample for the guest. I put a not in the invitation asking that she sample the product during the week prior to the party so that she can share what she thinks at the party. One week before the party I take a kit to the hostess allow her to use products for that week.

When it is time for the party not only the hostess but also at least 1/2 the guests (you have to allow for those who just won't take the time to samplet the product) have tried the product and will be able to discuss it it at the party. So in addition to hearing about the products from me these ladies will be able to share their honest thoughts about the products with each other.

This is something that has worked well for me.

romy

Postby ccarroll » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:28 am

Jaime,
What I want to say is that not everyone Has to do home parties. It is not a law. If you don't like doing the home parties, then focus on different aspects of the business. Fundraising, Book Shows , craft shows, etc.

But I do want to ask you if you yourself have fun at your own parties or are you so caught up in not trying to be pushy, that you forget to have fun. The idea behind a Home party is the PARTY aspect. If you are not having fun and being silly, are your guests? Just food for thought.

Chris
Chris

It's My business to help grow Your business!
Burn Clean
ccarroll

Postby colorbyjamie » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:28 am

Wow, look at all these replies! Thank you so much for your support everyone!

Let me explain a little further: I work for an AWESOME company with a FUN party layout. Our Vice President is Sue Rusch, who some of you may be familiar with, as before she joined us she had her own consultanting business training, speaking and writing to many companies about direct sales. She has emphasized with us over and over again that this IS a home party business. Yes, we can do craft shows, fundraisers and individual orders, but this industry is based on the group selling in people's homes. I believe in this philosophy.

However...I can't seem to get past one thing: THERE ARE A LOT OF HOME PARTY BUSINESSES OUT THERE!!! And sometimes I feel like people are so sick of home parties they don't even want to hear about another one.

When I do parties I LOVE Them. However, I am afraid that if I'm too pushy I'll scare everyone off and so I don't always ask everyone to book or think about our business. The top sellers in my company and in the industry share that we have to get past that and see the opportunity we are offering instead of what we get out of it. I'm just hoping to hear some testimonies from people who have a consistent party schedule and can share how they get people beyond the "another home party plan" philosophy.

Thanks for all of your help and ideas, I wish you all the best in your businesses!!!

Jamie
colorbyjamie

Postby littledb » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:36 pm

Work on your wording:

Would you and some of your crafty friends enjoy getting together so I can show you how crafting can create great family bonding time? For opening up your house, you will get free products and your friends will love you for it!

So tell me, what about our products appeals to you? I want to offer you a chance to be a preferred customer and really get to see our products up close. How would you like a chance to play and shop for free?

You can do it!!!!
And yes, many of the businesses, parties are the bread and butter.

Debbie
Usborne Books Supervisor
Read to your child every day!
www.goreadtoday.com
(and make money!)

Passion to Success
Lead with your passion!
Providing tools to take your business up!
http://www.passiontosuccess.com
littledb

Postby ksbell » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:40 pm

You know, if you're successful without doing parties you'll show people who wouldn't normally join your company because they hate parties! You'll show them that they can be just as successful and work the business the way they want to... not the way someone in another state tells them they have to!

Don't worry about not liking parties, do it with YOUR personality and you'll be much more successful. I don't think it's bad at all.

Kim
How old you are is your business... How old you LOOK is MINE!
http://www.beautipage.com/kim_bell

Get Paid to Get Fit!!
www.milliondollarbody.com/fitcoachkim
www.bellybusterdiet.com
ksbell

Postby soylightvicki » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:55 am

Hello again! I struggle with the same things as you. I am not a pushy person because I hate that. But I don't think my business is as hopping as it could be because of that. However, I am OK with that because I would feel disgusting if I felt I had to shove people into things or talk them into parties.

I have talked about this with the trainer that works with my company, and we came up with some ideas that are non-pushy.

The main thing is to make the parties fun - which you say hasn't been a big problem. That's great! I know someone who sells jewelry, and her parties are a lot of fun because you can try the jewelry on and have fun doing fancy things with scarves. Try doing hands on things with candles - you have to make your own fun there, it's definitely not something people can handle and do fun things with! :lol:

Anyhow, back to the main idea...another idea I have had luck with is offering my hostesses bonuses for various things, including bookings. A good friend of mine recently had her second party for me. Last year she just "hoped" I would get a booking or two at her party. That didn't work so well. This year, I offered a cash incentive for getting 3 bookings, and voila - she helped me obtain 3 bookings. I think if you attach monetary value to things like that, your hostesses will make more of an effort to help you out.

The final idea that has been working for me is to have several attractive gift baskets or bags on display at the party. You then point them out and tell the guests that they can select a bag to take home with them when they book a party with you.

Another way of doing this is to ask the hostess ahead of time to tell you 2 or 3 people who are likely to book a party. Give them each a beautifully wrapped gift and tell them they can have it, but only if they book a party. If not, they have to give the gift back to you when they turn in their order. I haven't tried this method yet, but one of our consultants swears that 99% of the time people book when she does this.

Good luck and hang in there!
soylightvicki

Good Idea

Postby gizmonl66 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:25 am

Hi,
I really like this idea of offering gifts etc. My question is...do you give your own products as gifts? I think that if you give it away then you won't get the sales...what do you think about this? I am into Italian Charms and stainless steel jewellery, I am wondering about the gift concept and incentatives...I am struggling now and how can I afford to give my commission away? Our company has a great Hostess benefits package but the hostess must wait until the party is closed and the order comes in. I don't keep stock on hand since there is such a wide variety.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me...I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Gwen
Gwen Pittman
Sales Consultant
Newfoundland, Canada
Off the Cuff Jewellery
gcpittman@yahoo.ca
www.otcuff.com
gizmonl66

Postby soylightvicki » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:45 pm

The gifts I give are not lavish or expensive, and they include a little bit of our product - not nearly so much that they'd then not want to buy anything.

I make little baskets that cost $4 - $5 each to give as gifts. The key is to make them look attractive so that people want to get them. I include several small items in each themed basket, and one of those is a votive and inexpensive votive holder. That's the only product of my own I give them. Kind of a "teaser" so they can see what our product is all about!

I feel that somtimes you have to give a little to get a lot, so that's why I do this. I know people in my company who don't want to spend any excess money on things like this, and they are doing just fine in their business. It's really up to you how you do things. I think when you are more established and have more money coming in, you can afford to give a little more to your guests and hostesses to keep them coming back for more!

Vicki
soylightvicki

Gift Giving

Postby gizmonl66 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:55 am

Thanks Vicki,
I give small gifts also...I like doing crafts so often I try to make my gifts...it really seems to go over well. I agree that it's all in the packaging too. I guess I was just wondering how I could give "samples" of our jewellery...

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement!

Gwen
Gwen Pittman
Sales Consultant
Newfoundland, Canada
Off the Cuff Jewellery
gcpittman@yahoo.ca
www.otcuff.com
gizmonl66

Next

Return to General Business Discussions