[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Home Party Plan Network Message Boards • View topic - CRUMMY gift idea!!!

CRUMMY gift idea!!!

Feel free to discuss Home Businesses in general in this topic. No advertising please!

CRUMMY gift idea!!!

Postby soylightvicki » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:20 am

I don't know about you, but I think the "gift" my sister got from one of her students last week (she's a school librarian) is just crummy!

One of her students gave her an early Christmas "gift" that included a Melaleuca catalog, an invitation to a "get together" to learn more about their products, and a $20 off coupon for Melaleuca products.

I just think that's awful! That's not a gift at all in my opinion. If you want to give a business related gift, give a free sample of your product - no strings attached! I give my kids teachers candles, but I would NEVER just give a catalog, a coupon, and an invitation to an event! In my book, that's just plain tacky!

Any thoughts? Is this something other companies encourage their reps to do? Maybe I'm overreacting - let me know what you think!
soylightvicki

re: "crummy gift"

Postby sraynor » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:58 pm

I don't think it's really that bad. what is the difference between getting a $20 card for that company and getting a $20 card from a store like wal mart or something? everybody is entitled to their own oppion though so I guess it's just in the eye of the beholder in this case
Stephanie Raynor
Independant Regal Rep

www.regalcatalogues.ca

stephanie_raynor@hotmail.com
sraynor

Postby soylightvicki » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:35 pm

The difference to me is that when you go into Wal Mart or any other major retail store with your gift card, they don't try to talk you into joining their "club" where you are required to spend a minimum of $60-$70 per month to be an active member and get your discounts. You don't have to attend a big sales presentation to use your certificate - you can use your gift card to purchase what you want and then never go back if you don't want to - no hassles or annoying sales pitches.

If it had just been the $20 gift certificate with a catalog, I would have thought that was OK. Adding in the invite to a sales presentation was what made it slip over into the realm of tackiness for me.

Thanks for your feedback - I do agree that there's nothing wrong with giving gift cards and/or gift certificates. I definitely do that myself!
soylightvicki

Postby Ashley » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:08 pm

I agree with you too Vickie..it still is tacky lol...when its comes to the holidays you should give gifts without any strings attached.Leave the sales part of it for another time.
Ashley WAHM of One

Ashley

Postby ravish30 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:19 am

Vicki,

I agree with you. A gift should come with NO strings attached! That is an unprofessional way to market the business.

I give products and/or gift certificates from my business all the time with No strings attached. I do not meet up with them, try to sell them stuff or try to get them to join, nor do I do a business pitch to them.

I agree with you, it was presented in a VERY tacky way.

Shelly
ravish30

Postby LOVESILVER » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Vicki,

All of my children's teachers got awesome .925 Sterling Silver jewerly....................no strings attached!

I agree...........the holidays are for giving (no alternative motives!)!

Julie

Hermosa Sterling
www.hermosasterling.com
LOVESILVER

Postby cinnamonmomof3 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:27 am

Yes I agree that the ladies "gift" was tacky. As someone in Melaleuca if I was going to try and promote it and give a gift at the same time I would give a product, like one of our candles or something nice like that along with a biz card. Or I could see a gift certificate but with no strings attached.
[url]https://www.myinitials-inc.com/cinnamon[/url]
cinnamonmomof3

Return to General Business Discussions