[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Home Party Plan Network Message Boards • View topic - Ethics in Direct Sales

Ethics in Direct Sales

Every month we will have a different topic in this discussion board relating to work at home. Please join in and share your tips and resources with each other. Thank you!

Ethics in Direct Sales

Postby Slah_Crystal » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:18 pm

Do you find today that ethics are lacking in direct sales based on your experiences? With some people trying to jump on the money train do you think they are overlooking proper business practices and ethics?
Crystal LaLone-Krepel

Independent Consultant

The Site For Home Party Plan Reps and Consultants!!
http://www.homepartyplanreps.com
Slah_Crystal

tough one

Postby crikster6 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:19 pm

This is a very deep question, but one that should be discussed. My personal opinion is that for the most part direct sales reps are ethical and honest. There are always a few "bad apples" in each bunch though.

I realize that people need to make money, but "stealing customers" from a fellow rep when you KNOW they already have a rep is not right. I buy a lot of items from all sorts of DS company people. I am loyal to my rep. If I'm invited to a party that a different rep is holding I will go, and probably buy a little something so the hostess gets some credit, but I make a point of letting the rep know that I do have a regular person I deal with.

Most reps are fine with that and glad to at least get a sale. If the new rep is pleasant/honest and I know she knows her stuff, I may even throw some business her way if I run into someone in her area that is looking for that type of product. The problem comes when they set out to bad-mouth other reps and call me constantly to try to get my business after I've already told them I have a rep.

In the past when I've chatted about my business and the person says they buy from "so and so" I will always try to say something nice about the other rep if I know her and that's that. If I don't know her I may give her a card and say that since she already has someone, I won't bother her, but if that rep leaves the company I would be glad to be of service and I will not hound her.

One time a lady I know called me and said her rep was out of town and she needed some product right away. I happened to have what she needed on hand, but I insisted she let me know her reps name and number so I could split the profit with her. The other rep was in shock that I would do that, as was the lady that called me. I explained that in direct sales we work hard to cultivate good customer service and repeat customers. I could not in good concenience take profit from the other reps long-standing customer. The other rep and I did split the profit and in the next couple of years we both sent business each other's way. We became great friends. Being honest and ethical is much more important to me than making a few bucks.

If you've read this far you'll know I ramble! But I think we all know how much it hurts to find that someone has "stolen" a good customer. I believe we should all treat other consultants/reps/instructors/whatever with respect and honesty in all regards.
So much fun stuff! Find out more...
crikter6@yahoo.com
Weekenders, Leaving Prints, Melaleuca, Plantmakers
crikster6

Postby DazzlePremier » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:04 pm

I ditto everything Crystal just rambled about LOL!

I am bothered by Direct Sales companies in general that use scare tactics to sell their products. I find this to be preying on the weak in too many instances.

My example would be the following story and I will not name the Company:

My father passed away from lung cancer 4 years ago. About 6 months after his death my sister was introduced to a company that was holding "Free Health Seminars" for the community in an effort to sell and recruit. She became so obsessed with the concept that almost every product in her home was going to cause her or her children cancer that we, as a family, finally had to sit and talk to her about it. Her children were becoming frightened of everything if they came to visit Grandma's house, etc.

Bless her heart, this was just her fear and grief being taken advantage of by the reps involved. She joined the company, spent thousands of dollars, and tried to convince others for a while as to why this was a good thing. But I am glad to say that she came back around to her senses and really speaks out against such business practices now.

It's great if you have a healthy, beneficial product to sell, but I think it should be presented on its on merits instead of telling people that everything in their home is potentially going to cause cancer.

Sorry..this is one my soap boxes...I will get down now. LOL
Sheryl

Premier Designs Jewelry
Enriching Lives and Serving Other since 1985

Premier Designs 2006 Verse of the Year
"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when dreams come true, there is life and joy."---Proverbs 13:12
DazzlePremier

My opinoin about company ethics

Postby nancysnaturals » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:12 pm

I see that a lot of companies want you to get a lot of items up front in stead of a drop ship program.
This is expensive to do, and then you have rubbermaid bins full of stuff. Yes they do offer a great discount, but think of think of the interest on the credit card.

then when you want to return the stuff you cant sell- you get only a percentage of the money back, so you might as well keep it.

These things are what promted me to do my own company- I have free membership and you can join with any sales kit purchase and get as much or little as you need at the best pricing.

That is my opinion on that- most of the reps I have dealt with are great. They send what they are supposed to- in a timely manner.

What other unethical things have you seen?
www.nancysnaturals.biz
Join us for free- a new company with the idea of empowering women and men to be their own boss.
NEW acrylic baskets on the way for spring and mothers day, new teas, and spice blends too. Check us out!
nancysnaturals

Postby calarson » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:39 pm

WOW! What a great topic! I agree that most people are honest overall in direct sales. However, I think that there are many who try to "twist" incentives or specials or what have you to their benefit. I also see people trying to get around specific company guidelines and I have no respect for that.

There are many who have a mentality of ME in this business and want to try to set themselves up for greatness or wealth or whatever. The thing is, with direct sales, there is plenty to go around - there's no need to act that way.

I hear a lot about women who give their discount to family and friends - I think that's unethical. A discount is provided to the consultant - not for everyone she knows.

Anyway, yet some more rambling! :D
Cassandra Larson
Unit Manager
wantfreejewelry.com
casslarson@cox.net
Earn $25-$60 per hour when you join my team OR
Earn an average of $500 in jewelry when you host a show!
calarson

Return to Topic of the Month