[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Home Party Plan Network Message Boards • View topic - Rude Guests at Parties

Rude Guests at Parties

Got something on your mind? Need to vent? Here's the place to let it all out!!

Rude Guests at Parties

Postby thewinelady » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:36 am

Okay, does anybody else think it is terribly rude to (1) arrive very late and breeze in and chat with all the guests right in the middle of your presentation and (2) to not only answer your cellphone but to have a lengthy converstation right there in the room?

This invariably happens at some of my events and it drives me nuts!! What other "rude" things do guests do that makes you crazy??
Pam Hubbard
Senior Consultant
The Traveling Vineyard
thewinelady

Postby Swidmom » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:13 am

I have had customers come right out and say "don't you think this is expensive?"

My jewelry starts at $10!!!! Everybody heard her and it was the Hostess's
mother!

Ellen
Ellen Swidler
Future Design Team Leader
The Glass Bracelet
Custom Jewelry designed in your home!

www.theglassbracelet.com
Swidmom

Rude guests

Postby iammom2four » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:41 am

Hey Pam! I'm sorry that happened to you, but I know what you mean! I had a very small show a few weeks ago and two of the women were very close friends - one of them just joined with another company and they both said negative things about Princess House through my whole demonstration. I'm glad I was in front of a small group, but it was still very frustrating. I was able to debate (tactfully and gently) all their negative comments except one, and that issue was a problem with the PH consultant, not product.

Anyway, I probably would have handled your situation in a tone like a teacher would have with talkative students - "Excuse me, could you please take your call in another room so that I can continue with my presentation for the other guests?" and with her coming in late and socializing with everyone: "I'm so glad you were able to make it, sorry that you were late but I'll be through with my demonstration in just a few more minutes - maybe you'd like to go get a snack or drink while I finish up with these ladies and then I can catch you up on what you missed?" She should get the point that you are going to continue and she needs to leave the other guests alone while you finish your demonstration.

Hope these ideas help!
Lisa
www.princesshouse.com/consultant/lalbright

"But I trust in you, Lord. I say, "You are my God." My whole life is in your hands.
Ps. 31:14-15a
iammom2four

Postby Home&GardenGirl » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:10 pm

oh yeah! Been there, done that! I mean if you come late, no big deal, things come up, but when you dont keep your mouth shut, constantly talk about things that are irrelevant (sp?) or start talking about another party they had with another company that has nothing to do with your products and yaddy yaddy yadda... But I digress...

Or they bring a bunch of screaming kids with no one to watch them. It's one thing to have 1 or 2 kids there, I don't mind, sometimes they help my sales! But those bad kids that run around, spill things, (and I sell pottery and things, not exactly kids toys!) Now I love kids, but geez! Like, Hello parents! Try to control your kids a little bit! And other guests and even the hostess gets annoyed then!

I digress more...but hey, that's what this venting area is for, right?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mindy Wheeler
Home & Garden Party Independent Designer
gigglezz78@hotmail.com
www.homeandgardenparty.com

** I LUV WHAT I DO...YOU CAN TOO **

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Home&GardenGirl

Postby thewinelady » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:26 am

HAHA! You ladies have cracked me up! I'm so glad I started this topic because it really helps to have someone "share your pain."

Ellen--now that's rude! I had a guest say one time, "I liked your wine, but I'd rather wait for the sales at Publix. I don't want to pay more than $5 for a bottle of wine! Since our wines start at $9.99 this was a real party killer!

Lisa--I loved your "teacher voice" advice. I was thinking of doing something like this the next time the cell phone thing happens. It's probably too mean, but just indulge my fantasy for a moment. I thought I would say something like, "Oh, I know Lisa would not want to miss out on tasting the next wine, so we'll just wait on her to finish her converstation and then we can pour." Should produce some great peer pressure

Mindy--boy, did your post bring back my days with Discovery Toys! Now, kids at a Toy demonstration can be a beautiful thing--the right kids. Mostly, though, a guest would end up bringing a little terror that would demolish my display in two seconds flat. Or the kid would insist on playing with toys that were not in his age range, therefore dangerous. Do you think the mom or the hostess bothered to do something. No way! No matter how much I stressed to my hostess that this was an "adult" party, someone would invariably show up with a kid or two. Then I would end up being the bad guy by suggesting that the kids play in the other room.

Anyway, thanks for the smiles :lol:
Pam Hubbard
Senior Consultant
The Traveling Vineyard
thewinelady

Postby Home&GardenGirl » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:41 am

Hey Ellen,
I just had a thought. If someone says, don't you think this is a little expensive, you can simply say,"no" or "if I did, I wouldnt be here" and move on and kind of make her feel stupid and like she's the only person who feels that way. :wink: Not that I'm normally rude or anything, but what kind of comment is that?!?

Personally, I have just stopped my demonstration and looked at them until they were done...hard to explain, but it's like I'm kind of listening to their conversation, but usually they realize I'm waiting for them and they stop. It's sort of like without actually saying, "are you finished yet? Do I have your permission to go on?" Usually embarrasses them a little but without me actually doing anything wrong or being rude or unprofessional. (Actually I have to do this to my mother-in-law when she's as parties, but that's actually because she just likes to talk and gets off topic a lot. She doesn't do it to be rude, I love her! I'm actually trying to get her into the business since she likes to talk!)

Hey I just thought of that one! What if you say to them, wow, if you like to talk you should join my team! Then you could be up here and do all the talking! Anyway............digressing more...(can you tell I like to talk? :D )

Hope these tips will help or at least make you feel better!
Mindy

Mindy Wheeler
gigglezz78@hotmail.com

Home&GardenGirl

Postby thewinelady » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:49 am

Pam Hubbard
Senior Consultant
The Traveling Vineyard
thewinelady

Postby Swidmom » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:56 am

Ellen Swidler
Future Design Team Leader
The Glass Bracelet
Custom Jewelry designed in your home!

www.theglassbracelet.com
Swidmom

Party talkers.....

Postby Rosalee » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:36 pm

Just a comment to add to all the rest here- I've often wondered why someone would want to bring their cellphones to the parties anyway-you would think they would leave them in the car, so as not to disturb others-I'm afraid I would ask the guests to leave their cell-phones in their cars( as I greet them at the door) & I have one real pet peave- and this is for those guests who come to your party w/ negative attitudes- whether it's about the products themselves or about the Company-or just the fact that they're trying to ruin the hostess' Party with neg. comments-( I think it's rude & ensulting)- maybe they should book the party!!- lol
Rosalee

Rude Guests - boy oh boy!

Postby Dawnotto » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:36 pm

I had a show just the other night that was a nightmare! I've never met more hostile people in my life! There was about 5 people already there when a woman comes in the front door and while she's still holding the door, she points at me and yells across the room (in a quite nasty tone) "I'm not having a show!!". I handled that well asking her to come on in and relax and have some fun and that there was no pressure here. But wait, that's only the beginning - it gets better! Another woman was looking at the jewelry and announces in a very loud voice "Oh my God! This is SOOOO expensive!" (she was looking at a piece that only cost about $22.00)...again I handled it well, asking her what her price range was and that I could help her find something within her range, to which she replied "No. Everything is much too expensive!" and walked away. Wait, there's more! Then, when I wanted to start my presentation I asked the ladies if I could get their attention for just a few minutes and from behind me (at the munchies table) another woman says (in a rude and angry tone) "I'm not buying anything and I'm not having a show! I don't have to listen to you!". The rest of the ladies looked at me and then, unbelievably, turned their backs towards me and started talking amongst themselves! I never made my presentation and only had about $300.00 in sales and no bookings (the average for my company is over $1100.00 in sales and 2 bookings per show!).

I have no idea what was going on and neither did my hostess. Why do people like that even come to the shows? That's a mystery I will never figure out! I took it as a learning experience and walked away knowing that I was very professional and that I tried to be helpful in every way possible.

You live and learn, eh?

Dawn Notto
Albbert Konder Collections
Dawnotto

Great Job Dawn!!

Postby Rosalee » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:22 am

I think you handled that show very well & you got $300 in sales out of it- that's great-as to why people behave that way- I would assume that they came only because the Hostess invited them to come-out of duty- I suppose- still that's no excuse for there rude behavior- like I said you handled it very well!! Bravo for you!!! :D Rosalee- Designer with Home & Garden Party
Rosalee

Postby thewinelady » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:28 am

Oh Dawn! That really was a nightmare :shock: You certainly handled it much better than I would have. I would probably have just packed up and said see you later. You would have thought the hostess at least would have tried to handle the guests. Hey, maybe this will always be the show that you keep remembering and saying, "Well, at least this show wasn't like that one!"

I still can't believe how terribly rude people are! If it's any consolation, I'd say it's a very good thing you didn't get any bookings. Who would want those people as hostesses anyway??
Pam Hubbard
Senior Consultant
The Traveling Vineyard
thewinelady

Postby Home&GardenGirl » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:15 pm

Isn't that the truth! I've had rude guests too, I dont think as bad as all that! I dont think I'd have handled it as well either! And, definitely I'd say, count your blessings that you didn't get any bookings! Who wants to deal with all that!?! How was the hostess? Was she offended by her own guests, was she rude too? I'd kind of feel bad for her if she wasnt, they were being inconsiderate to her too then!

Well, now that you vented, you can let it go and know it wasnt you! It was them! There is apparently something wrong with them! ;)

Mindy

Mindy Wheeler
gigglezz78@hotmail.com

Home&GardenGirl

Postby dkelley77 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:28 pm

My Tastefully Simple Website www.tastefullysimple.com/web/dkelley1
My BeautiControl Facebook www.tinyurl.com/beauticontrol
My Tastefully Simple Facebook www.tinyurl.com/tastefullysimplefacebook
dkelley77

Postby dawnnotto » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:33 pm

The hostess was perplexed - she did not have any idea as to why her guests were acting that way...I have developed a theory though - I think she "pushed" them - hard - into coming as most of them were her co-workers. I have been thanking my lucky starts that I did not get a booking that night! Whew! I don't know if I would be able to keep my cool at another show like that one!

Thanks for all of your input!
Dawn
dawnnotto

Next

Return to Venting Area